These are some frequently asked questions about the OMMP program in Oregon:

(Supplied by http://public.health.oregon.gov/DiseasesConditions/ChronicDisease/MedicalMarijuanaProgram/Pages/top20.aspx)


Who can get a medical marijuana card?

Individuals with a qualifying medical condition and a recommendation for medical marijuana from an attending physician may apply for a medical marijuana card.

How do I apply for a card?

Visit our New Applicants page to learn how to apply for a medical marijuana card (forms are available in English and Spanish).

How long does it take to get a card?
  • If your application is complete: Your card will be mailed to you.
  • If your application is NOT complete: OMMP staff will send you an “Incomplete Letter” to let you know what needs to be submitted to complete your application. You will have 14 days from the date of the letter to get the missing application materials to OMMP. If the missing application materials are not submitted within the 14 days, your application may be rejected.

The OMMP office asks that you please do not call to check your status prior to 30 days from the date your application was received. The processing of applications takes time, and the same staff who review your application also answer the phones. The more calls they receive, the slower they will process applications.

​How can I make sure my application is processed as quickly as possible?

Make sure you:

  • ​Complete all required portions of the application.
  • Submit a complete Attending Physician’s statement.
  • Include copies of current U.S. state or federal issued photo ID for the patient, caregiver, and grower if applicable.
  • Submit the correct payment amount. If you are eligible for a reduced fee, submit the required proof. If you register a growsite, include the required $50 fee.
  • Do not call to check your application status for 30 days from the date we receive your application.

PDF DocumentDownload our application checklist.

​Does the OMMP expedite the processing of applications so patients may access dispensaries?

No.  All applications are treated equally and the OMMP processes them as quickly as possible.

​​Who may act as a grower?
  • A patient may grow for his or herself or designate an individual 18 years or older to act as his or her grower.
  • The OMMP conducts a criminal background check on all designated growers.
  • If a grower has been convicted of felony violating ORS 475.840 through 475.920 on or after January 1, 2006, that person is prohibited from growing marijuana for a patient for five years from the date of conviction for the first offense.
  • Individuals with more than one conviction are permanently prohibited from growing.
​Do I have to list a grower and growsite address on my application?

Only if you are growing your own medical marijuana or are designating another person to grow medical marijuana for you.

  • Patients growing medical marijuana or designating a grower are required to provide the OMMP with the growsite address.
  • Only one growsite address may be registered per patient.
  • Growsites must be a physical address located in Oregon.
Do I need to keep a copy of my application and any other information I send to the OMMP?

Yes. If your application has not yet been approved, denied, or rejected you may provide law enforcement with a copy of your written documentation submitted to the OMMP along with proof of the date of mailing or other transmission of the documentation.

  • This documentation affords you the same legal protection as a registry identification card, until such time as you receive your card or notification that your application has been approved or denied.
  • Written documentation of your application does not allow you access to dispensaries.



How much does it cost to register?

The standard application fee is $200.

An applicant may qualify for a reduced fee of:

  • $60 withPDF Documentproof of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or
  • $50 withPDF Documentproof of Oregon Health Plan (OHP) eligibility, or
  • $20 withPDF Documentproof of receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) monthly benefits, or
  • $20 withPDF Documentproof of receipt of compensation from the VA (Veterans Affairs) based on a finding of 100% service-connected disability or receipt of a needs-based pension from the VA as described in OAR 333-008-0020.

Grower Registration Fee: If a designated grower is someone other than the patient, a growsite registration fee of $50 is required in addition to the application fee.

Visit our OMMP Fees page to learn more.



Do I have to tell the OMMP if I change my mailing address, add or remove a caregiver, grower, or change my growsite address?

Yes. You are required to submit a Change Form (pdf) with the updated information within 30 days.

  • Change forms should be submitted via mail. The OMMP does not accept changes of registry information over the telephone or by fax.
  • Changes to your caregiver and/or grower require that the former caregiver and/or grower cards be returned to the OMMP within 7 days.
  • Patients are required by law to notify the former caregiver and/or grower that they no longer have this designation.


​Do I need to have any legal concerns when I make changes to caregiver, grower or growsite information?

Yes. It is important for your registry file to be up to date so if law enforcement requests verification of information from the OMMP your current caregiver, grower, and growsite are all protected.

  • To make sure individuals and the growsite are protected, and that previously protected individuals know their status has changed, submit a Change Form for caregiver, grower, and/or growsite changes immediately.
  • The OMMP recommends that you obtain a new growsite registration card before moving plants to a new growsite and keep copies of all Change Request Forms.



All growers on new applications submitted on or after July 1, 2015 must provide proof of either one or two years of Oregon residency.
Why do I have to prove residency?

House Bill 3400 was drafted by the Oregon Legislative Assembly in their 2015 regular session and signed by Governor Brown on June 30, 2015.

  • Section 81(2)(b) adds the requirement that a grower provide proof of two-year Oregon residency.
  • Section 173 declares the residency requirement effective upon passage (July 1, 2015) and allows for a provision that growers on new applications who were growers on or before January 1, 2015 need only provide proof of one-year residency.


Do I have to prove one- or two-year residency?

If you were a grower on paperwork received or before January 1, 2015, you only need to prove one-year residency. Otherwise, you need to prove two-year residency.


I’ve used my Oregon address for years; my Oregon ID was recently renewed. Why can’t you see I’m a resident?

HB 3400 requires residency proof to be submitted by the applicant (HB 3400 section 81(2)). OMMP staff cannot attest to an individual’s residency, no matter how clear his or her residency may be. If you have an Oregon ID that was recently renewed, please submit the residency form with the application.


What additional documentation must I submit to prove I’ve been a resident for one or two years?
  • If you have an Oregon ID issued more than two years ago, no additional proof is needed.
  • If you have recently renewed your Oregon ID, submit the residency form with the application.
  • If you have a Veteran, Tribal, or a U.S. Passport, or ID from a state other than Oregon, additional proof may be needed. This can include recent income tax returns, property tax records, mortgage statements, utility bills, lease or rental agreement, etc. dated one or two years from the date the application was submitted and showing the person’s name and Oregon address.


Why wasn’t this on my application / why wasn’t I notified?

The bill containing this requirement was passed June 30, 2015 and became effective July 1, 2015. 


I am an out-of-state grower on two applications – a new one and a renewal. Why did I get grower cards on the renewal application but not the new application?

Temporary provisions allowed for review of growers on new applications only.


When will this change?

On January 1, 2016, all growers must provide residency proof. Under HB 3400, submission of grower residency proof will be required until January 1, 2020.



How can I verify that I am a grower or caregiver for a particular patient?
  • The patient is responsible for getting the cards to the caregiver and grower. You can ask the patient to sign an approved Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Information form that will enable you to contact the OMMP and verify whether you are an authorized grower or caregiver for that patient.
  • The OMMP is prohibited from providing any information concerning a patient to a grower or caregiver without a valid authorization of release of information.


Can medical marijuana dispensaries sell marijuana to retail customers who do not have an OMMP card?
Yes. Through December 31, 2016, registered medical marijuana dispensaries may choose to participate in early retail sales of limited recreational marijuana products. Visit the Medical Marijuana Dispensary Program website atmmj.oregon.gov for more information.



Do I need a physician to recommend the use of medical marijuana?

Yes. A physician must state in writing that the patient has a qualifying medical condition and that medical marijuana may lessen or relieve the symptoms or effects of that condition annually.


Can a naturopath (ND), chiropractor (DC), ​or nurse practitioner (NP/FNP) sign my “Attending Physician’s Statement”?

No. Attending Physician is defined as a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) licensed under ORS chapter 677.


​Does the physician have to be licensed in Oreg​on?

Yes. The law specifies that a physician must be licensed in Oregon.



Can the OMMP give me legal advice?

No. If you have questions concerning compliance with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act you should consult a private attorney.



Can a patient withdraw from the program?

Yes. A patient must submit a written statement that he or she wishes to withdraw from the OMMP.

  • All cards must be returned to the OMMP within seven days of the withdrawal notification.
  • The patient’s card and all cards associated will be voided.
  • The patient is responsible for notifying his or her grower and caregiver, if applicable, that his or her card is no longer valid.
  • The patient may reapply as a new patient at any time.​


​Do patients get a refund if they withdraw from the program?

No. The application and growsite fees are non-refundable.